Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Tuesday's Tips and Techniques for Watercolor Painting


The Best Watercolor Brushes
Winsor Newton Series 7 Kolinsky Sable brushes are known through out the watercolor world as being the best watercolor painting brushes ever. I have to agree. I love my WN Series 7 brushes, I treasure them dearly. They can be rather pricey and are worth every penny. They hold the perfect amount of paint and water. They have just the right spring and snap.

Why do they call them Series 7? Back in 1866, Queen Victoria requested Winsor & Newton create for her the finest watercolor brushes in her favorite size, No. 7 round.

My favorite Series 7 brush is or shall I say was the No. 2 round. Sadly it has lost its spring, its snap ... it met its death mysteriously. It somehow rolled off my art table and onto the floor landing sable end straight down due to the kink when wet and attempting to swash paint across watercolor paper. I'm not sure if it was my error or the cat. Either way, it was an accidental death.

It is so important to take really good care of your brushes, especially your Series 7 brushes!

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

A good brush is a treasure! I have a few that I really like, too =) So sad about your damaged brush!

Rita said...

I did get a replacement No. 2 but it's just not the same and i don't know why.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin