Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Hundreds of Paintings - Small, Medium & Large

Since I have begun painting in watercolors, I have hundreds of paintings, small, medium, large and everything in between.  Small ones the size of ACEOs 2.5x3.5", 4x6, 5x7, 8x10 ... 1/8 sheet, 1/4 sheet, 1/2 sheet and full sheet watercolor paintings.  A full sized sheet of watercolor paper is 22x30".  When learning to paint and now that I am teaching painting classes too, we normally refer to the size of the painting by the fraction of the sheet of watercolor paper being used.  I have tried and tested a variety of paper weights and brands too.  I started out painting on 1/4 sheets (11x15").  Then I ventured off to a Zoltan Szabo watercolor workshop, there we painted on 1/2 sheets (15x22").  Painting larger, really helped me hone my skills.  Once you gain the courage to tackle a full sheet painting (22x30") and it turns out to be a success, it is rather encouraging to try again, and again, and again.  Once you master the full sheet and the half sheet, painting the 1/4 sheets and everything smaller seems to be so much easier.  

The only way to improve your skills in pretty much anything is to practice.  I have done lots of practicing.  I literally have hundreds of paintings.   If you're interested in viewing just a small sampling of my work, it can be seen on my gallery website: http://rasquier.com and also a sampling can be seen in my Etsy Shop: http://squier.etsy.com If you see anything you like ... just ask, most likely it is for sale.

Some people wonder if it is hard to part with your paintings.  The answer would be yes, in the beginning.  But now, the answer is no ... I don't mind selling my watercolor paintings.  I am happy to share my art with the world.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin