Friday, February 27, 2009

Art in the Park

Art Fairs ... Thing of the Past?

Last summer, we signed up for several art fairs ... indoors and out. We created what we thought were esthetically pleasing booths, one for indoors and one for outdoors (as seen here). Yes, it is nerve racking preparing for the first show, worrying about weather for the outdoor shows, but in the end ... it was fun.

As for the shows themselves ... it was great to connect with other artists. It was fun watching the people wander around the art fair. Talking with people who were actually interested in our art was great. However, the overall turn out of visitors seemed to be low. Talking with other artists who have done the shows in the past, they said the turnout was a lot smaller. People seem to be "just browsing". With the shift in the economy from bad to worse, what will this summer bring?

Are art fairs a thing of the past?

I hope not. It is a fantastic way to get people out and about in the fresh air. Take in the sights of creative artisans displaying their wares to the world. Supporting local artists by purchasing goods directly from them. We all have rent to pay in one way or another.

Original fine art is so important to keep alive in our culture today.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I have yet to do an art show seeing as I really just started painting on a regular basis. But I have plans to join some. I get Zapp e-mails regularly so I can keep up on them.

Leslie Patterson said...

I, too, do craft shows and have been a little nervous about all of the money I am spending on booth fees for the spring season. Last fall seemed to be average for me, so I'm eternally optimistic...

Audrey said...

I love to browse through art fairs and craft shows. Hopefully they are not a thing of the past.

Wendy Christensen said...

I love outdoor "Art in the Park" shows...We have a huge one here each year and I don't think I've ever missed it :) - To me, they are always IN style!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin